Saturday, November 13, 2010

A book I loved as a child.

My friend Jennifer Mendenhall invited me to participate with her in sharing memories as sort of a journal/blog project.  This is our first entry.  *Name a book you loved as a child and tell why.

A book that I will always remember my father reading to me is "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" by Dr. Seuss.
This story has always stayed with me.  I love how the Grinch makes the transformation from Mr. Poophead to Mr. Lovekins. How he learns that Christmas means more than gifts bought at the store.   The characters are so endearing to me.  His little dog, Cindy Lou, all of Who Ville.  But it's the language that I enjoy.  If I see a book  written by Dr. Seuss I will pick it up and read it.  I don't care where I am, who I am with I will laugh out loud while reading the many stories Dr. Seuss so creatively made up about how we handle everyday life.  I get a kick out of the language this author made available to us. When I had the best job in the world, Library assistant in a grade school, the Head Librarian, Mrs. LaPlante would plan a Dr. Seuss Day and as staff we would all eat green eggs and ham for breakfast to kick off the celebration.  We would read Dr. Seuss books to all the classes. She and I would speak Dr. Seuss language all day long.  So much fun. It was great.
Some of my favorites are:
of course the Grinch comes first... "And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?
It came without ribbons. It came without tags.  It came without packages, boxes or bags.
And he puzzled and puzzled 'til his puzzler was sore.  Than the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.   What if Christmas, he thought doesn't come from a store.  What if Christmas, perhaps means a little bit more."

It's not Christmas for me if I haven't read this book or watched the t.v. program.  It's funny though.  I do not own this book, yet it is one of my favorite childhood memories.  I do not own the movie either.  Hmmm...that's curious.

Here are a few other quotes that I am remember from reading Dr. Seuss stories.
*"From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere." (one fish two fish red fish blue fish)

*"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."

* "I said what I meant, and I meant what I said. An elephant's faithful one hundred percent!"
*"A person's a person no matter how small."(Horton Hears a Who)


*"You have brains in your head,  You have feet in your shoes.  You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.   You're on your own and you know what you know.  And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go." (Oh The places You'll Go)

*"I do not like green eggs and ham I do not like them Sam I am."
*" Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not!"
(The Lorax)

" Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.  Dr. Seuss

I could go on and on but I think you have the idea. 

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

My dream job is to work in the library or a book store. But, I probably wouldn't get much work done!