Sunday, January 16, 2011

Building spirituality one lego at a time

Early morning seminary is tuff this time of year. It's cold (always in the 20's) and dark, very dark you can still see all the stars in the sky, and of course it's early, 6 a.m.  So I try to think of  fun things to do to keep up morale, help us stay awake and keep our interest.  Scirpture Mastery the lego way.  This is acutally a preschool activity, but we had fun, all of us.  Never underestimate a GOOD preschool activity.
I have to share this.  Teaching at this time in the morning is not always a positive experience.  Everyone is sleepy and many times grumpy.  Because of this the teenagers often do not respond to lessons I have spend hours preparing. So I get discouraged.  I come home and say to myself, "Verda, why do you spend so much time  creating lessons that are up-beat and interactive. the kids don't care one way or the other.  They just want to pass the time quickly and move on to the rest of their day.  Stop making such a effort.  Just hit the basics, they won't know the difference!" 
Than I come into the room the next day determined to keep trying and this is what I see when I turn on the lights.  Our class meets in the Relief Society Room and Mutual is also held there in the evening.  Someone the night before thought of me and left this message.  Kind of made up for all the frustration the day before.  Yup! The Church is True.

1 comment:

Krystal and Bruce said...

let me tell ya they may not look like they enjoy it but you make it sooooo worth going! i had one very very boring teacher and that year was the worst! sister t always made it worth going even if we didn't show it like we should have keep it up mom. they will forever remember you!!