Thursday, June 25, 2009

Blanca takes notes..


Today I sat and watched the road in front of my home be chipped sealed. I did not know what the process was, so i watched. I was fascinated. It took 3 very large trucks to do this work with the help of 3 men with shovels. The process actually began a few weeks ago. All the cracks and pot holes were filled in, mended so to speak. Yesterday the road was washed and blown dry with a street cleaner and today the actual sealing took place. One truck sprayed black gunk all over the road, behind it came another with the rock spreading it evenly all over the black stuff, next a vehicle with 8 wheels across the front and back rolled over the rock several times. The men with the shovels filled in spaces with rock that the trucks could not get to, small little nitches and Viola! a new road. Now the rocks will fly and windshields all over the neighborhood will get chipped.

I never paid any attention to these workers on the road. They are quite profecient. From start to finish this morning it only took 40 minutes to give the road it's new look. Modern machinery is amazing. I wonder how long it took to repair roads before these trucks were invented to do the work. The next time I have to wait for a work truck on a road job, I'll be more patient. These workers are in the heat all day reparing the roads to make it safe for us to travel. I'm grateful that we have nice smooth roads to drive on instead of dusty ol' rocky pot hole dirt roads that get all muddy and lined with ruts, YUK!

No comments: