Sunday, October 2, 2011

Conferemce Weekend

I always look forward to Conference.  Today I wrote down some phrases and key words that will help me to remember what was shared in the Saturday Sessions.  I'll be using them to quiz my class on Monday to see if they really listened or not.  Some of them are as follows:

The right thing to do at the right time        Jose L. Alonzo   (service)
Young crow, Old crow   IF                     Boyd K Packer  (message to the youth)
You Matter To HIM                               Dieter F. Uchtodorf   (self worth)
It's better to Look Up                             Carl B. Cook
The Joy of Forgiveness                           D. Todd Christofferson  (repentance)
Speak up about the Church                     L. Tom Perry

Of course I will mostly refer to talks given on Sunday.   I have  come to learn that most members do not watch all four sessions.  That's really too bad.  I know the talks are recorded and we can listen to them at a later time, but I feel you miss something special when you don't hear them as they are presented on the given day.  And if you only read the Ensign you miss all the inflections in the person's voice.  For example, today President Monson spoke briefly in the morning session and his greeting was so cute and his smile radiated.  You don't see or hear that when you read the magazine.  Sometimes a speaker will tell a joke and it's impromptu. those are little gems of personality  are not included in the magazine version.

I know people are very busy these days and there is only so much time to get everything done that is required of us.  I'm grateful I have generally been able to take the time to listen to all of conference.  I like the Relief Society meeting the week prior.  I have never listened to conference and not received an answer to my prayers.  I know the leaders of the church are inspired and thank goodness for their valiant service.  I appreciate all they do for us.

No comments: