Thursday, September 23, 2010

It's okay to sit on the kitchen floor and CRY

I have a friend named Bobbie Mortensen. She is great listener. But she also gives good advice. Simple, and useful. One day she was telling me about the troubles one of her children were experiencing. I was a bit down at the time also so I was kind of in a funk. She recognized that I was not paying much attention and she asked. What's goin on with you? I just shrugged my shoulders...I think this was the time we were having to move out of the cute little house we were living in because the owner was no longer making the payments on the mortgage. I really enjoyed living in that spot. But we had no choice. Then there were other things, one right after the other. I was disguntled [but it turned out to be the best thing that happened to us]. Bobbie finally got me to fess up to what I was so sad about and these were her words of wisdom..."Verda, it's okay if you want to sit in the middle of the floor in your kitchen and have a good cry, if you need permissin, I will gladly give it to you but eventuallly you will have to get up and do the cooking!"

That statement made so much sense to me. I don't know why. I guess I was looking for permission to feel sorry for myself. So I did just that. I had a good cry, went through the motions of a "pity party' and when I felt satisfied that I had wept long enough I pulled myself together and went back to the work of everyday life. Taking Bobbie's suggestion I started cooking again. This was the best advice I have received in a very long time. So for any of you out there who are experiencing pain, frustration, Why Me?, I don't deserve this!, whatever else, you have permission to sit on the kitchen floor and have a good cry. Throw a tantrum, if need be...just remember, once that is out of the way, get back on your feet and get the cooking done. Take  it from someone who is now using this therapy at least twice a year....

1 comment:

Krystal and Bruce said...

good advice mom! I use it! BJ will tell ya! =]