Saturday, October 2, 2010

Conference and costumes and witches, oh my!

This is conference weekend.   In my opinion Fall can officially begin.  I have spent my weekend preparing for Halloween.  I enjoy making costumes for my grandchildren.  I know the time is coming fast when Ma Verdi's costumes will no longer  be suitable, but for now they let me do this for them.  Why am I so obsessed with making costumes.? It's what I do.  I like the creating process.  When I was a child it was a time of happy memories for me with my little sisters. 

My Father  would give us cash so we could go to the Thrift Store to buy items for our Halloween costumes.  This was always so much fun.  We looked forward to it every year.  The three of us would create the most wonderful costumes and on Halloween night we would stratagize our route through the neighborhood considering where the best candy would be.  When we would get back to out house we immedicately dumped out our candy unto the living room floor and surveyed our treasures.  Of course we sorted out the candy we didn't care for and bartered with each other for candy we preferred.  Our Dad would always come in and try to sneak our favorites away from us, but we always kept our eye on him.  When all was accounted for we would let him come pick what he wanted. 

I always enjoyed Halloween.  I think it's because it was "our" holiday.  No expectations, just fun!
Planning, shopping, creating, trick or treating, sorting candy....it was something we could do all together and there were no disagreements.  It was just delightful, childs play, no strings attached.  I still look forward to planning and creating for this holiday.    Since I joined the church General Conference has become part of my Fall ritual.  I plan nothing for that weekend except watching conference, working on costumes for myself, my children, (when they were at home and before they got married) and now my grand children. 

Isn't it fun to dress up and pretend to be someone, or something.  I think so and I did what I could to encourage my children to do the same. When my children were in grade school we use to choose charactoers from their favorites books or movies.   I just like the fun stuff, not the scary, gory, yucky things so many other people display.  I like jack 'o lanterns with funny faces, cartoon type ghosts and witches.  Witches are my favorite.  Why?  Because they can look like just about anything.  I like the wild fashion sense, the hats, the shoes, the colors, the brooms, the black cats.  There's so much you can do with Witches.  Witches have homes, they cook, they decorate, they have pets and they are loyal to their sisters.  NO!  Ido not believe in Witches.  I just like to pretend for halloween.



So go out and enjoy the season.  I have already bought and eaten my first bag of candy corn which is my favorite fall treat.  Gary brought home halloween  oreo cookies, YUM,  and the halloween cookie cutters have been taken out of storage and will be put to use this year.  I found a very yummy recipe which I have practiced and am ready to make.  I'll be making cookies for my seminary students. 
The other teachers and I are planning 'A Morning with Ghosts ' (pioneer stories) for a fun day before the Halloween weekend.  I have made myself a new costume and can't wait to wear it.  We are all looking forward to performing for the students.

This is a little bit more than what I had intended on sharing, but I hope everyone enjoys the Fall season.  I know I will.  This year I will be spending my Halloween with Kaci and lil Forrest in Alaska.   I'm so excited!

2 comments:

Krystal and Bruce said...

Don't worry mom you have another baby in the way to make costumes for. You have lots a years ahead of you!!! :-) you forgot to say that you watch hocus pokus every year!!!

Kerri said...

you have always been so fun with halloween stuff. thanks for making costumes for my kids. i know i couldn't be so creative.