Saturday, January 31, 2009

A tribute to my dentist

I understand that most people do not like going to the dentist office. I am one of those who really don't mind. I am fasicinated with what a dentist can do to make eating (one of my favorite "To Do's" of the day) comfortable and pleasant. We all take out teeth for granted. We expect them to be on duty 24-7 and never give us a complaint. Well, when I visited my dentist he asked me this question. "What can we do to help you overcome your fear of coming to the dentist?" I told him I do not fear the dentist, I fear having to pay him. Dental work is very costly. But more so if you neglect caring for your mouth, which I have done. I lost a filling in my tooth a year ago which was supporting a very fragile tooth. I just figured I could eat on the other side of my mouth and keep my teeth clean and all would be well. Hmmm, not so much. This past week I have been suffering with a throbing in my cheek that kept me from sleeping. I noticed it most when I would eat items that were chewy or hard. After going without sleep for a week I had to give in. My friend referred me to a good dentist and I now have a new mouth. I can eat again without pain or frustration. This of course after 3 hours in a chair and $800. Lesson learned
Do not, I repeat, do not neglect your body just because you do not want to pay for it's care. I could have visited my two daughters and grand children with the money I had to pay the dentist for his expertise. And there is more work to be done...ugh! The dentist said it would of been a simple job that would of only cost $150 had I taken care of it when it happened. What a dope I am. Thank you Dr. Mangum for your excellent care and understanding. The next time I lose a filling, I will take care of it immediately. But for now all I have to console me is a piece of chocolate cake, which I can now enjoy to it's fullest.

No comments:

Blog Archive