Saturday, February 27, 2010

Going to the Edge...

Our Bishop, Sergio Montes shared this message with us in Ward Conference. I think it teaches a very good lesson. I'm curious who you picture yourself as in this story. Gary identified with the parent. I thought of myself as the child. Let me know what ya think?

GOING TO THE EDGE OF THE LIGHT

A wise dad was working on a project in the farmhouse with his son. A tool was needed to complete the task. The tool was out in the barn some 100 yards from the back door. It was late at night and very, very dark outside. The dad said, “Son, we just can’t complete our task if we don’t have that tool. It is out in the barn. I need you to go and fetch it for me.” “Sure, Dad,” came the enthusiastic reply from the anxious, eager to please young son. He skipped off to the back door. The dad heard the screen door open and slam shut. Almost immediately he heard the screen door open and slam shut again. The young son was at his father’s side. “Dad, it is dark out there. I mean it is really dark out there. I can’t see a thing.”

Obviously the boy was frightened by the dark and the task at hand seemed impossible. The wise father said, “Son, come with me to the back porch. I think I can help.” The door opened again and they both stepped out into the dark. The dad said, “Look, I’ll turn on the porch light. Look there. That’s better. How far can you see now, son?” “Wow, Dad, I can see all the way to the gate.” “That is wonderful, my boy. You run on out to the gate.”

The young boy ran out to the gate. When he was there he suddenly stopped. Looked around and said, “It sure is dark out here. I can’t see anything. I’m coming back, Dad.”

“No, No, Son, don’t do that. I can see you just fine. You are okay. Look out toward the barn. How far can you see?” “Wow, Dad, I can make out the big tree in the driveway. It sure is dark out here.”

“Well then, my boy, walk on out to the big tree.” “Okay, Dad. Boy it sure is dark out here. Dad, I’m at the big tree. It’s dark and I can’t see anything.”

“Well, how far can you see?” “I can see the watering trough. Wow, it is dark out here.” “Then walk to the watering trough.” “Okay, Dad.”

“I’m here, Dad. I am at the watering trough. It is so dark, I can’t see anything.” “Son, look toward the barn. What do you see?” “I can’t see it, Dad. I don’t like this. It’s dark and I am scared.” “Well, son, what can you see?” “I can see the water tower.” “Then walk to the water tower. You are doing fine.”

“Hey Dad, I am at the water tower. Hey dad, I can see the barn!!” The wise father heard the running of a little boy’s feet, he heard the barn door swing open and saw a light come on near the work bench. “I got the tool, Dad.” “That’s great, son. Turn out the light, secure the barn door and come on home.”

The young boy reluctantly turned out the barn light, went to the huge door, closed it, secured it, and turned to begin what he was sure would be a fearful journey back to the farmhouse. However, something was different. As he turned, towards home and faced the light, he could see the water tower, the watering trough, the big tree, the gate, and his Dad standing at the door. His dad’s light lighted the whole yard, yet it was still pitch dark outside. He tightened his grip on the tool and raced for home, past the tower, the trough, the tree, through the gate, up the steps, and into the outstretched arms of his waiting father.

Questions to ponder/discuss:

· Could the father have gone and got the tool himself? Why did he send his son?

· Could the son see the objective from the beginning? Were there intermediate steps along the way?

· Did the dad give reassurance along the way?

· When the boy finally saw his objective, what was he able to do on his own?

· Was it difficult for the boy to shut off the light in the barn? In his inexperience, could he have known that his trip back would be different from his walk into the dark?

No comments: