Saturday, February 20, 2010

Humanitarian Habitat

(this is one of the 'crazy' quilts)

On Wednesday's I spend my mornings at the stake center working with other members on the Stake Humanitarian Project.  Bro. & Sis. Nelson are the missionaries in charge.  What do we do?  Well, several different projects are on-going.  I have been made the "bootie" consultant.  The first day I attended Sis. Nelson handed me a bag full of fleece cut outs and said, here verda this is your baby.  So I played with all the pieces and figured out how to put together the most darling little booties for toddlers.  This is what I do.  Another person is in charge of the book bag assembly.  One other lady works on dolls with matching clothes and hair, and of course the beloved quilts.  I think there are usually about 10 people there each week.  Sometimes more, depending.  I have made new friends and these people are entertaining to say the least.  We listen to 60's CD's, eat donuts, bagels and bananas, and work, work work.  Every time a project is completed we stand in the front of the room and so off our work.  Everyone cheers and we go back to work. I usually complete about 10 pair of booties in a morning, the quilters always finish at least two full size quilts, and this week all the dollies got dresses and panties. Next week all the book bags should be completed ready to be filled.  It feels good to do these projects.  As Brother Nelson says each week when we are applauding the completion of another quilt..."If you were someone all bruised and sad and was given this quilt, it would make your day. You would feel loved."  I believe he is right. 


1 comment:

Kim's just sayin' said...

so true I love that Prescott does that once a week. Maybe I should get that started out here!

good work Mom!