Thursday, December 23, 2010

Blog Challenge #6 What is your conversion story?

I BELONG TO THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS

I joined the church when I was 18.  My father was a member but was not active.  When he remarried my step-mother mentioned that she had read the Book of Mormon when the Home Teachers were visitng one evening.  From there the missionaries were invited to our home.  This was not an easy job for them.  My parents were not willing to give up their coffee and cigarettes.  My sister Marsha wanted to attend the Catholic church and I just basically ignored the whole thing.  It took a couple of years to get us to change our minds.  First the whole family took the lessons. No one got baptized.  Then some how the lessons were taught again and this time one of them made an impression on me.  So I started paying attention and from there I was hooked.   I began reading the Book of Mormon, the Young Adult group in the ward were very friendly and fellowshipped me and there was a guy that caught my eye.  I was baptized in March 1977. I was  sealed to my father and step-mother one year later.  Gary returned from his mission in '79, we dated off and on that year and were married in March 1980 in the Mesa Temple.  My father, step-mother and I were the only active members in my family.  Gary, his mother and step-father were the only active members in his family.   30 years later adding four of our own chldren, our membership in the church has grown. All three girls have married in the temple and our 5 grandchildren are born in the covenant with one more to arrive in May. 

If you would of asked me what I wanted to do with my life prior to my baptism it would not have included a husband and chldren.  I would not have dreamed it would have turned out the way it did.  I am so glad I made the decision to change my heart and mind and join the church. It has made all the difference.

No comments: