Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A rose by any other name is still a Rose

I have always been fond of nick names.  The cute ones, not the mean ones.  Our whole married life Gary has always called me "Babe".  It use to drive his mother crazy.  She use to scold him and say, you do know that she has a name?  I simple stated that I loved it and it was special to me.  It still bugged her.  She was the type of woman who wanted her own identity and nick names took that from her, I guess.  But what I thought was funny, one day as I was visiting Bob and Polly for an extended time, Bob called her Blue Eyes and she responded without a hitch.  "Hmmm, what's the difference between Blue Eyes and Babe,?"I asked.  She said the words babe, doll, sweetie, good lookin' put women in a bad light.  We are people, not objects for their pleasure.  Why is it okay for Papa to call you Blue Eyes?  She said that is a term of endearment, "he loves my blue eyes; it's a fact, I have blue eyes. You on the other hand are a woman, not a baby or a doll." 

Oh well, I like it when Gary calls me "Babe".  To me I am more to him than just the women who shares his residence. I bring this up because I noticed that Bruce calls Krystal "Miss".  It 's adorable.  Nate and Brad do not call Kim and Kerri by any pet names that I can recall.  I only remember Nate mentioning that his wife's name is Kim and  only her family call her Kimi.  Well, I suppose since her Father and I named her we can call her whatever we want.  She is Kimi, Kerri is Kerri Berri, and Krystal is Krysie. These names where given to them by their older brother, Garrett as each girl came along.  We have used these names ever since.  I have never heard either of them complain. 

As for my nick names growing up, we don't need to go there, but I never was offended just thought I was loved.  While visiting Kim this last time, Lili told me she had 14 nicknames.  We listed all her names on the board whenever we heard a different one.  It was so heartwarming to me that she was proud of all her nick names.  Too cute.  The ones I can remember were:  sweet pea, princess honu, miss lillikins, booger butt,
pretty girl,  lovekins, little mama....and there were more.  I guess it depends on your personality whether or not you like nick names/pet names. If I give a nick name to someone, it comes from my heart and I hope that is how they precieve it.

1 comment:

Misty said...

I had to comment on this post because I feel exactly the same way as you do about nicknames! I give EVERYONE I love/care about a nickname and that is what I call them! If I call my hubby Chris, its usually because I'm upset! lol I think nicknames are wonderful, and they mean you have a special relationship with that person. :)
Love you Aunt Verdi