Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fluff vs. Stuff

One of the things I have noticed about people in general is that they are either a 'Fluff' or a 'Stuff' person.  There are times when I have come across someone who is equally  both.  I call them  "Fluff n Stuff." (that would be me)   I suppose I should explain.  These categories are applied to gift giving and receiving; birthdays in particular.  I mention this because I just recently was on the receiving end. 
Gifts in our home fall under these two categories.  Gary is the one who came up with them.  He is a Stuff not Fluff receiver.  When one of us (immediate family members) gives him a gift there is no need to give any attention to fluffiness.  Fluffiness means fancy packaging.  Just give me the "Stuff" is his request.  I like to get stuff, but I like the fluffiness...ribbons, cute paper, unique containers.  I think the fluff makes it more desirable.  Sometimes if you get a rotten gift...well let me rephrase that because no gift is 'rotten'...it is after all the thought that counts, if the gift is not quite your cup of tea and it is given  in a lovely, eye catching package  that in itself  makes getting it FUN.  But in Gary's opinion it's the gift itself that is fun and if you eliminate the fluff you have lots more money to spend on the stuff.  So this has become the Hebner Family gift giving philosophy.  It is not uncommon to receive a gift wrapped in a t-shirt, a towel, or store's plastic bag.

It is true, gift wrap and cards are costly and you can sometimes upgrade a gift if you go with a newspaper or brown paper bag cover-up.  I still like to make the gift look special.  It's the one thing my mother-in-law and I did agree upon. I enjoy unique cover-ups.  For me it is part of the gift-giving fun but in these tough economic times I have to admit it can easily be eliminated.  So I share below a photo of my birthday gift this  year.  Gary at least put it in a nice store clothing box and for a bit of color he added some skittles atop the package.  I really liked my gift and the fact that he made the effort to 'fluff' it up meant so much.  What was nice about this fluff was that I got a sweet treat as well.  Happy Birthday to me!


                                                Fluff, Stuff or Fluff n Stuff, which are you? 

1 comment:

Krystal and Bruce said...

i want both! I love both! =]